The influence of riparian vegetation on leaf litter inputs to Boreal Shield streams: implications for partial-harvest logging in riparian reserves

The Atrium, University of Guelph Institutional Repository

The influence of riparian vegetation on leaf litter inputs to Boreal Shield streams: implications for partial-harvest logging in riparian reserves

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Muto, Elisa A.
dc.contributor.author Kreutzweiser, David P.
dc.contributor.author Sibley, Paul K.
dc.date.accessioned 2011-09-14T18:49:40Z
dc.date.available 2011-09-14T18:49:40Z
dc.date.issued 2009
dc.identifier.citation Muto, E.A., Kreutzweiser, D.P., Sibley, P.K. "The influence of riparian vegetation on leaf litter inputs to Boreal Shield streams; Implications for partial harvest logging in riparian reserves." Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39.5 (2009): 917-927
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/10214/2994
dc.description.abstract Litter inputs to headwater streams were measured to characterize and describe input patterns to the streams and to quantify the relationships between leaf litter inputs and surrounding riparian characteristics in Boreal Shield forests. Our goal was to provide information on litter inputs to streams in the Boreal Shield to determine if partial-harvest logging of commercial trees within riparian reserves has the potential to cause significant changes to litter inputs. Total leaf litter comprised 87% deciduous leaves and 13% conifer needles during the June to October periods. Commercial deciduous tree species accounted for approximately 50% of total deciduous leaf litter inputs. Distance-weighted deciduous basal area was the best predictor of overstorey deciduous litter (r2 = 0.597, P = <0.001), indicating that the size, abundance, and proximity of deciduous trees to streams are important to deciduous litter inputs. Leaf litter inputs to Boreal Shield streams are strongly influenced by surrounding riparian vegetation and can be effectively predicted by stem basal area. A linear regression model based on commercial deciduous tree basal area is presented that can be useful to determine the number of trees to retain within a riparian area to maintain leaf litter inputs at or near preharvest levels.
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher Canadian Journal of Forest Research en_US
dc.subject Leaf Litter en_US
dc.subject Boreal Shield en_US
dc.subject logging en_US
dc.subject Riparian Reserves en_US
dc.title The influence of riparian vegetation on leaf litter inputs to Boreal Shield streams: implications for partial-harvest logging in riparian reserves en_US
dc.type Article en_US


Files in this item

Files Size Format View
Muto_et_al_CJFR ... puts_to_boreal_streams.pdf 209.3Kb PDF View/Open

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search the Atrium


Advanced Search

Browse

My Account